- This document is intended for individuals or organizations conducting rapid antigen screening in Ontario.
Frequency of specimen collection and screening:
- For asymptomatic individuals in high prevalence areas(Yellow/Orange/Red/Grey) specimen collection and screening should be performed 2-3 times per week.
- For low prevalence areas (Green), specimen collection and screening should be performed 1-2 times per week.
- Rapid antigen testing is used for screening purposes only and should NOT be used for diagnosis of acute COVID-19 infection. Testing does not prevent someone from getting COVID-19.
- Rapid antigen screening can be thought of as an additional screening tool.
- Rapid antigen screening does not replace public health measures such as symptom screening, physical distancing, masking and hand hygiene.
- Rapid antigen screening does not replace requirements to protect the health and safety of workers.
DISCLAIMER: This document has been reviewed by Ontario Health West staff. While staff has provided its summary and interpretation of key action items, every health service provider remains responsible for ensuring their own understanding of the document and actions items, next steps and/or accountabilities outlined in the document.